Friday, April 30, 2010

We just can't have only one deck!

What's happening, Metuselahs?

I'll tell you what's happening... we are greedy. The eternal night makes us long for all the options, or everything we could try as our limited resources can manage.

We... are gamblers. Some of us just adore eBay, others purchasing boosters just like smokers, until we reach the rare or the number of commons/uncommons we put ourselves as objective in our dark deck lists. Internet is the spark that lit this fire. No doubt.

After playing other CCGs, I've never felt this sick desire of having more than one deck. I think it was easier then. In Warlord, par example, I only liked Deverenians and Elves, and my priority was the first ones. Fucking good was that game, its a pity it just died in Spain, afaik.

Now, here I am. From the V:TM I thought I could have one or two decks in this game with the clans I roled, maybe a third if it was as *cheap* as I thought (Toreador, !Toreador and Lasombra). Things in the card game were really different as the aims I had for them. At the moment, close to be completed there are 5 decks. Motherfucking fiive!!
Others have a lot more, and other players just stay in one clan... but at least a couple of decks of that clan.
And shared this thoughts with other players and companions, and in the end, its all greed.

"You know? I can try building a deck around this card....."

The beginning of your Apocalypse, my friend.

Don't you think, Metuselahs?

3 comments:

  1. Caller_in_DarknessMay 1, 2010 at 2:53 AM

    Well, mixed thoughts about this. I played with only one deck for about half of the 11 years I've been into VTES and have to say that you NEED more than one deck if you want to keep the game interesting. Today, with five complete decks, I could not imagine to go back to only one deck, would be missing too many options.
    But you are right concerning the greed-thing and the (percieved) need to built decks around certain cards (HttB got me there with Scout Youngwood).
    The point is, if I would not spent the amount of money on VTES, I would spent this amount on some other hobby/stuff. I guess it is better buying trading cards, than going to the pub every evening and getting drunk...at least some times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason why I don't have like 30+ decks is the lack of Pentex Subversions and Dreams of the Sphinx's. I need an avarage of 1.5 Pentex for my decks. Right now I have 6 decks, but i have to proxy some Pentex because I have only 4 of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a player who started only in fall 2007, there are a lot of cards that create the problem Mephistopholes is talking about for me. Dreams, Deflection, Scourge of the Enochians, Pentex Subversion, Eyes of Argus, Magic of the Smith, and Alastor are some of the cards I either have to move between decks or I simply don't have enough of.

    For new players, I totally recommend borrowing decks at first to see what you like, then buying cards to help make a good deck you'll enjoy. Probably best to get advice from a good player when deck building at first. After you master that deck, you could branch out. Playing just one deck is no fun unless you rarely play or don't know what you're doing yet(imo)

    ReplyDelete