Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thanatosis: an overview




What's happening, Metuselahs?

This weekend I'm going to have more time to spend on the blog, but I wanted to update it with an article about the cards of Thanatosis that I consider the most important of them.
I have to admit that I've already written this article in the WikiTES of the vtes.net, in Spanish.

The reason that I had to look at this discipline was the vampire Morlock. Reasons? His clan disciplines at superior, his +1 Bleed, Black Hand, obf.... Sweet! And the art (mueheh)

So, Thanatosis (from Greek thanatos, 'death', and -osis, 'state of disease') is Samedi's clan discipline. It involves altering the appearance of death and the effects associated with it and decomposition. It is otherwise similar to Necromancy. Source: WoD Wiki

-- Reanimated Corpse
Excellent ally, even tho its time in game is limited by the pathos counters. Perfect to combine with Shambling Hordes. Enough to bleed and block (2 str, 2 bleed) and imho, the best card of this discipline. Cute art too ;)

-- Pressing Flesh
Really handy, take an ally from another ash heap at +1 stealth and in THN with +1 life. Well, it cannot gain life, it is a zombie, but he can play fortitude cards. I think we will see this card a lot in most of the Samedi decks.

-- Compress
So, this is the Burning Wrath of Thanatosis. Nothing more to say. I would bring max 2 in a deck, but 1 is enough to have a funny moment in a combat. The outferior is with pot, strike +2 str.

-- Groaning Corpse
It only works at close range... the worst part of the card. In the other hand, you deal damage each round, and cost increases if you play more of them.

-- Under My Skin
For 1 blood of the vampire, the outferior (obf) is +1 stealth, and thn is +1 stealth for the action and you keep that card on the vampire, to burn it in another action to have +1 stealth. At THN the same, but +2 stealth when playing it, +1 stealth by burning it. I do like it, don't want my reanimated corpses to be blocked.

-- Ashes to Ashes
At outferior (for) is works only when you are going to be burned. Nah. At thn, prevent all damage, untap and torpor. THN the same, but you gain 2 blood from the blood bank. Having cards like Skin of Steel, Rolling with the Punches , etc, would this card be worth including in the deck? Honestly, I haven't tested yet, and idk.

For me? That's all.... well, I do like Hag's Wrinkles, but I don't see it so important to write more about it :P what do you think? Did I miss something?

Take care if you get some rigo mortis this spring, Metuselahs!!

6 comments:

  1. I like the analysis. Wanted to add:

    I tend to think that Dust to Dust is a better combat defense than Ashes to Ashes. A dodge, maneuver, and press to end goes a long way, and it's free.

    Creeping Infection is not a great card, but the +bleed makes it at least a bit interesting. A minion can only have one Creeping Infection, but your vampire can hand out multiple copies for more +bleed. There's no option for the Infected vampire to get rid of the card, and the +bleed only applies against your target, handy if you get bounced.

    Withering is not that exciting, but it might be good if you are seeing a lot of discipline-based damage prevention or additional strike combat. (Withering is placed at the same time damage is dealt, and you can't play damage prevention cards until after damage is done.) It's also an interesting way to mess with a deck that has one bouncing minion; rush, Wither, and the rest of your guys can bleed without fear.

    Since Withering damage is hard to prevent, it's also interesting in combination with Dawn Operation, Pulled Fangs, and Target Vitals.

    It might be fun to build a deck around both. Drop Haven Uncovered on one of your prey's vampires. Have your first guy show up and play Withering; have the rest rush, play Creeping Infection, and enjoy the lack of hitback.

    It's a split-clan deck, but Reanimated Corpse is fun in combination with Khobar Towers. You get to order the effects, so you can send your Corpse into the Towers before it runs out of Pathos. Corpses can also hit for a whole bunch, between Soak, Target Vitals, and Pulled Fangs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your apportation, finbury :)
    I didn't mention Creeping Infection because at superior it costs blood, and if my Samedi gets in combat with another minion, another Target Vitals would be the option.

    Well, with Target Vitals, disciplineless, every minion can make a decent role in combat. I will sure fear Shamblings/WarGhouls with TV.

    Your combination of Withering+Dawn Operation+extras seems hardcore!! Except ally decks, at least in my city, most of the decks are discipline-based, and it is not overpowered because it removes itself in discard.

    I've just read Khobar Towers, it is fun indeed, but the FoS with nec are too high caps :/

    I completely forgot Dust to dust, its better than Ashes, but we are in the same situation, maybe just fortitude cards would do the job.

    Heheh Reanimated Corpses hitting for 4 damage with TV, I think I'm getting an orgasm :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ishvalan,

    I think thanatosis including last expansion is simply the worst discipline of all bloodline disciplines. The discipline spread of Samedi, obfuscate, fortitude, necromancy should encourage that thanatosis got 2 type of cards, which should have been printed this expansion.
    1 bleed action/modifier, maybe something like loss on Quietus and 1 effective (not something like combat ends hoser.
    A path to reduce thanatosis cost would also have worked wonders.


    Regards

    Dr.Mafrune

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to say not something like Rigor Mortis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed, but my first attempt at analysis a discipline was this because in the WikiTES it was a discipline to edit and easy to fullfill and good to start with (analysing disciplines i mean)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah and the reason that I like Thanatosis are the Reanimated Corpses... my weakness is a cute art, and that card has just an awsome pic and is good enough to have in decks :)

    ReplyDelete